- Shop Resources
- Asking Why? - Reading Comprehension and Critical Thinking Strategy
Asking Why? - Reading Comprehension and Critical Thinking Strategy
- 12 pages
- 2-page worksheet with 3 questions on the front page, and 4 questions on the optional back page
- 3 different sets of instructions for reading books, texts, and stories.
- 2 printing options (color and black and white)
I found that the majority of my 4th-grade special education students had difficulty formulating "why?" questions and answering them. This worksheet prompts students to ask themselves "why" after reading a short passage. If you have students who struggle with knowing when to ask "why" while reading, you and your students may find this resource helpful.
Encourage students to share their answers, answer each other's questions and comment on possible answers.
Prompt students to question character actions, decisions, and relationships.
This can also be a great way to promote higher-level thinking skills.
Directions: Read your book/text/story. As you read, ask “Why?”. Write down your “why?” questions and possible answers on this sheet. Remember to re-read if you have trouble coming up with a “why?” question.
- Independent Reading
- Group Reading
- Frequently and repeatedly throughout the year
For the best results, please select the "Fit to Printable Area“ or "Fit to Printer Margins“ options in settings before printing.